Skip to main content

Scent-sational

Perfume.  It is a topic which I hold very, very close to my heart.  We could say that it is an addiction, and lucky for me, I have a husband who feeds that addiction with extra TLC. Well - why so serious?  Because it all started when I was a young teenager and I had bought my first Cacharel: Amor Amor from Duty Free on the way to a family summer holiday.  I never forget going back to school that September, and feeling like quite possibly, the coolest Year 9 any school has seen.  It was that day when I realised how much 3 words could mean to me: You. Smell. Amazing.  Since then I have made it my mission to train my senses because to smell amazing is to feel amazing; and here I am today with a perfume collection of around 40 bottles and counting.  

                   


Oud:  Its not for everyone but it is my most favourite ingredient in fragrances.  It is a type of wood which comes through a fungal infection produced on tropical trees which eventually causes it to rot.  The infected tree then produces the oud wood.  Pretty cool isn't it?  So what makes it so expensive - this was always a million dollar question for me, too, because lets face it, if you are paying for something which you don't get to keep forever then is it really worth it.  For the purpose of this topic, I quite like to use the analogy of food...  May seem like they have nothing to do with one another but like food, Oud makes me happy!  The reality of Oud is that it is extremely rare and hard to come by because the infection process alone takes years, and this happens to only around 2% of these trees - not to mention that the tropical tree on which it is found (Aqualaria) is now considered critically endangered. This makes me sad. Lets protect it at all costs!



Now let me go into some depth of my favourite(s). I am a huge fan of Jo Malone fragrances; I think she has an array of 'scent families' of which every personality type can relate to and choose from. Whether it is sweet, floral or woody her selection is so very rich, I find it difficult to decide on my favourite as it is always up for debate. Since I received my Jo Malone Advent Calendar this Christmas, I have grown to admire the selection a lot more. It comes at a hefty price tag, but believe me it is so worth it - a candle, 9ml perfume bottle or a soap (and 16 days more of surprises); having a gift to open every day for 25 days is nothing short of heavenly.

Perfume personalities. This may seem odd but I have a way of matching perfume groups with characters; not only a seasonal variety but an all year round match which I split into 3 groups. Heavy and woody scents to me, is worn by a serious person. May be fun but is also very sophisticated and wants all eyes on them when they enter a room. Sweet and fruity. This person doesn't take life too seriously and just wants to laugh, and have fun. Floral - refreshing, introvert who wants peace and to go on long walks...

Whether it is oud, musk or vanilla - perfume is a way of life for me and I know it is the same for many others, too. Perfume allows us to be ourselves and portray who we are through senses; and what we smell and feel determines mood and therefore the way we treat others, too... So regardless of any plans you have or do not have, spray your favourite perfume and create freedom and unconditional peace within you.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luxembourg: Just a Financial Centre?

This Bank Holiday weekend was a different one; a lot less of a popular destination and one which I simply didn't know what to expect.  I think this is my favourite bit about the Earth, and not to mention why I am so fond of always being abroad - you always have to keep an open mind and go without influences of travel reviews and any other comments. My travelling habits are not limited to seasons or geographical locations.  I am a believer of seeing new things and constantly exploring; which makes it difficult to settle in any single environment.  I'll admit, I did a lot of research on the location, the language(s) spoken, the kind of food which was eaten and to my surprise when I got there; I found that actually it is not only a place of politics and finance. The parks, waterfalls and cobble streets gave this country a fairy-tale toy town feeling.  The historical architecture, the quiet and narrow streets and most importantly the people and their positive, kind and

Winter Wear: Seasonal Skin Food

It is no secret that we all want good skin.  Age, gender or even climate is no exception to that rule so undoubtedly the first thing we can expect to do is jump on Google to find out which cream is the best and why.   I would like to start off by talking about what little care I showed towards good skincare.  In all honesty, I used to go for the most cost effective option of a range in which I believed to be a good enough brand, and would check on my cheeks to see how they're doing and made sure they felt smooth... Now what is "good" and how do you determine what is and isn't a good brand?  Price tag?  Reviews?  Word of mouth?  All seem pretty fair to me but what I have really come to realise is that if something isn't good for your skin type then it may not necessarily be good at all.  Our skin is like the most delicate piece of clothing we wear and given how much exposure to pollution and harmful rays it has throughout the day, there has to be maintenance.  Just

Autumn in the Desert: My trip to Dubai

More often than not, I find myself complaining about the weather - it is always just too cold.  This year, however, I decided that I would spend a cold October (although some Londoners may argue that it has been a warm one so far - I beg to differ), somewhere not so cold; and one place which automatically comes to mind is ever-so-perfect Dubai. My trip consisted of many things from walking around The Dubai Mall, tasting Arabic coffee at various stands; to watching the water dance of the famous fountain show with a view of the world's tallest building and of course eating lots!  Zahr El Laymoun was a personal favourite.  A Lebanese infusion with a modern twist, the portions were plentiful and the presentation was incredible.  We chose to sit outside as we wanted to enjoy the warm breeze of the Dubai sunset along with the first show of the evening (which starts at 18:00, and goes on for the duration of each track every half hour until midnight) There was a general Autumnal f